9th European Conference on Gender Equality in Higher Education (and Research), Paris, 12-14 september 2016
Deadline for submission: 29th February 2016
The French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), the Université Paris Diderot, and the Université Sorbonne Paris Cité (USPC), with strong support from the French Ministry for National Education, Higher Education and Research, are inviting researchers, professors, administrators, policy-makers, practitioners and students to Paris, on 12-14 September 2016, to attend the 9th European Conference on Gender Equality in Higher Education.
The European Conferences on Gender Equality in Higher Education have since 1998 brought regularly together hundreds of gender equality actors from Europe and beyond. The conferences provide an international forum to discuss and exchange information and experiences and share research results on the changes and challenges related to gender in academia, gender equality promotion and interventions in higher education and research institutions. Eight conferences have been organised since 1998, roughly every two years, with the latest one being hosted by the Vienna University of Technology in September 2014 (http://gender2014.conf.tuwien.ac.at/). The European Network on Gender Equality in Higher Education has since 1998 been contributing to the continuity and organisation of these encounters.
France is hosting this event for the first time. Gender research, including research on women in academia in particular, is well developed in France and has grown considerably these past ten years. France has also put into action since 2012 an important legislative and regulatory machinery aimed at ensuring effective equality between women and men in all sectors of society and in higher education and research particularly. Its institutions, as well as its associations and companies, are involved in numerous actions, and partners in various European networks. Notably, France is project coordinator for the GENDER-NET ERA-NET, which will be holding its final conference as part of this 9th Conference.
Proposals addressing the following themes will be especially considered:
-Gender equality in higher education and research, evolution and comparative approaches with other sectors of society (e.g. business and politics) as well as between countries:
• Gender balance, diversity, discrimination, intersectionality
• Public policies promoting gender equality, national and European challenges, European Research Area roadmaps
• Higher education reforms and their gender impacts
• Women’s access to decision-making positions: issues of power at stake, and effects of legal provisions or regulations promoting parity (e.g. targets and quotas)
• Structural change and institutional gender equality plans (recruitments, promotions, careers, work-life balance, work time organisation, etc.)
• Addressing and preventing sexual harassment, gender-based violence and sexist behaviours
• Equal opportunities in research funding
-Researching on gender, teaching and learning gender equality:
• Gender research, its funding, and the transfer of its findings into higher education: what evolutions?
o Teaching gender in social science and humanities and in other disciplines
o Gender equality and anti-discrimination trainings for teachers
o Gender training for future gender equality professionals
o Gender training for academic and scientific leaders and managers
• Integration of the gender dimension in research contents beyond social science and humanities, institutional, national and European challenges.
Proposals can be based on academic research, policy development or practitioner perspectives.
Three communication options are made possible:
1) individual oral communication
2) complete panel (duration 1h30)
The conference language will be English.
Proposals (see attached submission form) are to be sent before February 29th 2016 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstracts will be reviewed by the International Scientific Committee.
Information on the approval of the proposals will be sent out on April 15th, 2016.
• Jeanne Collin, GENDER-NET ERA-NET European Project Manager, Mission pour la place des femmes au CNRS
• Gabrielle Costa de Beauregard, Head of external relations, USPC
• Anne Kupiec, Vice‐President for Human Relations, Director of the Pôle Egalité Femmes‐Hommes, University Paris Diderot, Coordinator of the USPC equality network
• Rachida Lemmaghti, Gender Equality Officer, University Paris Diderot
• Sophie Lhenry, Research officer at the Pôle Egalité Femmes‐Hommes, University Paris Diderot
• Anne Pépin, Director of the Mission pour la place des femmes au CNRS, GENDER-NET coordinator
• Maria Teresa Pontois, Projects Officer at the Mission pour la place des femmes au CNRS
• Marie Soledad Rodriguez, Gender Equality Officer, University Paris Sorbonne Nouvelle
• Samia Touati, Administration and communications officer, Mission pour la place des femmes au CNRS
• Jean-Louis Billoët, director of the INSA Rouen, representing the Committee for equality in higher education and research (COMEGAL) of the French Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research
• Simone Bonnafous, director general for higher education and progfessinal insertion, Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research
• Christine Clerici, President of the University Paris Diderot
• Alain Fuchs, President of CNRS
• Roger Genet, director general for research and innovation, Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research
• Gabrielle Halpern, Adviser for societal issues at the cabinet of Thierry Mandon, Secretary of State for Higher Education and Research
• Jean-Yves Mérindol, President of the Université Sorbonne Paris Cité
• Clélia Morali, Delegate for Communication, Ministry of National Education, Higher Education and Research
• Anne Peyroche, Deputy Director of the cabinet of Thierry Mandon, Secretary of State for Higher Education and Research, and in charge of Research
• Jérôme Teillard, Deputy Director of the cabinet of Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, Minister of National Education, Higher Education and Research
International Scientific Committee: soon to be announced.
Upload call for papers (2 p.): CALL_9 Eu Conf Gender Equality Higher Ed_Paris-2016_EN_final
Upload abstract submission form (1 p.): ABSTRACT_9 Eu Conf Gender Higher Ed_Paris-2016